Minimal Pairs Approach
If you ever asked us at AISP which phonological intervention we most frequently use, hands-down, it’s the minimal pairs approach! There is a reason why there is such a long, strong evidence base on this approach, and it’s one that we highly recommend you familiarise yourself with if you treat children with speech sound disorders.
- Purchase the Minimal Pairs Handbook, a comprehensive, step-by-step intervention guide written for SLPs. The handbook is over 140 pages long and contains the “intervention manual” and clips to watch so you know HOW to implement the approach. Currently, over 700 reviews!
- Read for an in-depth review; we highly recommend reading the Minimal Pairs chapter from the Interventions from Speech Sound Disorders in Children text (Williams, McLeod & McCauley, 2021).
We create a range of printable and digital therapy resources to meet your needs:
- Our Minimal Pairs Toolkit is the “starter kit” we recommend SLP’s first purchase for a printable set of minimal pair cards, stories to introduce the rule & cue cards for the six most common phonological patterns – over 915 reviews!
- We currently have an extensive range of minimal pair cards for the following patterns:
- Final Consonant Deletion Toolkit
- Fronting & Backing Toolkit
- “S” Cluster Reduction Toolkit
- Gliding Toolkit
- Voicing Toolkit
- “Th-F” Fricative Simplification Toolkit
- Initial Consonant Deletion Toolkit
- “S” Clusters to “S” Reduction Toolkit
- Deaffrication Toolkit
- “S-Th” Substitution Toolkit
- “L” Cluster Reduction Toolkit
- We create printable homework packets for treating common phonological patterns using the minimal pairs approach. Our collection includes individual and discounted bundles for final consonant deletion, fronting, ‘s’ cluster reduction, gliding, stopping, and voicing.
- View our interactive Boom Card decks for digital (and telehealth practice) using minimal pairs. Current patterns include final consonant deletion, fronting, ‘s’ cluster reduction, gliding, stopping, and voicing.
- Download and browse our free minimal pair cards in our freebie library FREE!
- Purchase and download the SCIP (Sound Contrasts in Phonology) app. This evidence-based therapeutic tool developed by Dr. A. Lynn Williams allows you to create a treatment program for contrastive approaches, including minimal pairs.
- We have published physical Minimal Pair card decks with Bjorem Speech Publications. For local stockists in your country, purchase orders and shipping information, head to their website.
- Current series include fronting & backing, final consonant deletion, ‘s’ cluster reduction, stopping, gliding, and voicing.