Have you ever tried to teach ‘r’ clusters, and the child really struggles to put the sounds together? Perhaps they delete either the first or second part of their cluster? Using metaphors, chaining, and multisensory cueing, these ‘R’ Cluster Help Sheets can help students who have difficulties.
DOWNLOAD THIS RESOURCE IF YOU:
- need cues to break down a complex word (‘r’ cluster) into smaller, manageable parts.
- have tried different types of cues, and nothing has helped “click”.
- have used cycles or the minimal pairs approach to target ‘r’ clusters and found that your child STILL reduces part of the cluster.
- your student has motor planning challenges (e.g., Childhood Apraxia of Speech) and requires specific cueing and support to sequence clusters.
There are three different sheets for each ‘l’ cluster:
❶ — Backward chaining (e.g., rain, rain, rain, brain)
❷ — Forward chaining (e.g., ffffff-ride, fried)
❸ — Flashcards with visual cues
We know that children learn differently, and these ‘R’ Clusters Help Sheets give you multiple options for teaching ‘r’ clusters. Teach your child that they have to use their “b” sound when they see the ball visual or an “f” sound when they see a fire picture. You might like to tap or trace with your finger to reinforce the continual airflow and need to join the first sound to the rest of the word. This helps the child break down the word into smaller, manageable speech units to help the child “hear” the individual sounds or syllables of the ‘r’ cluster word.
✅ — Clusters included: br, cr, dr, fr, gr, pr, and tr
✅ — Contains 42 pages of COLOR pages
✅ — Contains 42 pages of B&W pages
✅ — Backward Chaining Sheets for each ‘r’ cluster
✅ — Forward Chaining Sheets for each ‘r’ cluster
✅ — x12 Flashcards for each type of ‘r’ cluster
⭐– check out my best-selling ‘S’ Cluster Help Sheets
I have this passion for creating phonology resources as I find that every child is different and responds to different things.
⭐If you’d like to get phonology inspired, then check out:⭐
- Just Add ‘S’: S-Blend Cluster Reduction Sequencing Strips
- Just Add ‘L’: L-Blend Cluster Reduction Sequencing Strips
- R-Blend Cluster Reduction Bingo Boards + Minimal Pairs
Rebecca Reinking is an SLP who works privately with children with speech sound disorders. She has a particular interest in phonological interventions and strives to connect and collaborate with speech scientists to bridge the gap between research and clinical practice.
Watch my videos on Instagram @adventuresinspeechpathology
Learn more about phonological therapy and join my email list.
Send me an email [email protected]