Can I work in that country?

I know what it’s like to be desperate to work or study in another country as an SLP. You spend hours of time Googling for someone to tell you the answer… and most times you DON’T get that answer. 

When I moved from Australia to the United States in 2011, there was not much out there. Facebook groups wasn’t a thing. No one was on Instagram. And the only thing that you might find was a thread on a random site.

FIRST STEP: know the MRA

If the country that you live in is part of the Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA) then lucky you! There is some pretty straightforward information out there.

The MRA is an agreement signed by the associations for Australia, America, Canada, Ireland, the UK and New Zealand. In basic terms, the agreement recognises that if you have full membership in your own country, then you might be able to work in another country listed in the agreement.

But here’s the catch: You might have to provide or undertake extra requirements such as taking exams, obtaining specific certifications, meeting a dysphagia competency or having a certain amount of clinical hours under your belt. You won’t know until you do the reading specific to the country where you obtained your degree and compare it you where ou want to go.


If you are not sure where to start and want a quick comparison guide, Speech Pathology Australia have a nice summary and list for all of the countries. Otherwise, click on the country that you WANT to work in below:

  1. USA: ASHA doe a great job at listing a variety of documents if you want to work in America. Just be aware that you most likely have to apply for state licensure as well.
  2. AUSTRALIA: If you want to work as an SLP in Australia (and why wouldn’t you?!) then click here to read about the Overseas Qualification Assessment.
  3. CANADA: The website for Canada mentions that there will be some new process, so make sure that you check back periodically to have the most up-to-date information.? T
  4. REPUBLIC OF IRELAND: The webpage for working in Ireland has some documents that you are able to download and read. 
  5. UNITED KINGDOM: I’ve studied in the UK and loved my time there. This link is a search on the RCSLT page, and has information for SLPs who are MRA and non-MRA.
  6. NEW ZEALAND: The website for New Zealand isn’t as comprehensive as some of the other associations, but you should find the information you’ll need.

Visa applications

When you make the decision to pack your bags and work overseas you will inevitably be playing the Visa Game. Applications. Fees. Processing time. Licenses. Photocopies… lots of photocopies. So before you set your heart on working in a specific country, do a little research first about how easy it is to get a visa. 

Do I have the answers? No. Sorry. These things change all the time. 

There is an AMAZING Facebook Group called SLPs Going Abroad – go join it! There are SLPs who are most likely working where you want to go and can answer the questions you need.

Further Reading

Read my post ‘Working Overseas: Where to Begin’ to give you some ideas of the steps to take to get the ball rolling.

If you want information about other countries, visit my SLP Associations From Around the World page and look through the countries and perhaps try contacting yourself to see the requirements. There are pros and cons from choosing an association part of or not part of the MRA, so do your research and see what suits you.

** Please note that I will be unable to answer further questions on this page. If you dod not find any answers, try the Facebook group that I mentioned above 🙂 **


    • Hi Carol,
      I don’t know about Argentina or how strict they are about letting SLPs with foreign credentials work there. I have a link to the association ASALFA I don’t read Spanish, so I am unable to give you any further information. I hope this is useful and sorry that I can’t be more help.

    • Hi carol, I live in Argentina and I am a SLP student. Let me know if you have any other question. 🙂

      • Hi Helen, I too am interested in working as a SLP in Argentina. I lived in BsAs for a couple years and am now in a graduate program in the U.S. Are you a SLP student in an school in Argentina? Are you from there or abroad?
        thank you,

    • Hi Rebecca,

      I stumbled across something you mentioned on a forum about completing the Paxis exam in Australia? I can’t seem to find any information about completing it in Australia on I’m hoping to have completed the exam prior to arriving in the US so that I can secure a position before I get there…

      Do you have any tips?



      • Hi Jessica,
        I actually combined a US trip with my Praxis exam to save time. When I looked 2 years ago it was possible to take the exam in Australia but you had to register a couple of months in advance. I’ve tried to search for that information online and can’t find it, so it may have changed. You should email them and ask. If not, the closest US territory is American Samoa, about a 6 hour flight. That may be your best choice if Australia isn’t an option anymore.

      • Hi Rebecca,

        Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate your help!

        I have made some progress in gaining ASHA certification and thought I would pass on some information regarding Aussie SPs sitting the PRAXIS exam. It is possible however, you need to apply for a paper test and submit the necessary documentation ( prior to the “outside US” deadline (at On the application form you must indicate a preferred date and they will let you know if this is possible.

        Hope this proves useful to your other readers!

        Love the blog!!!

        • Thanks for the info – and best of luck studying!

      • Hi Jessica,

        We’re you able to find information on taking the praxis exam in Australia? Probably the ets website will help you which I’ve looked into it and I couldn’t find test locations in Australia. I assume you received your masters in Australia.. Are you familiar with what AsHA requires to get certification besides taking the praxis? I’ve been doing my research but I’ve heard different sides and have not found anyone that has gone through the process in getting certification through asha. Does asha require extra audiology hours? Will they accept any university from Australia?
        Any information that you can give me will be greatly appreciated

        Thank you,

    • Hi Carol,
      Did you ever get any information about working in Argentina? I’m interested in doing that, too…

  • Hello Rebecca, Thank you for the fast response, I will at the website and hopefully I can get some info. thanks

  • Hi Rebecca!
    I am an American presently residing and working in Bangkok, Thailand as an English teacher. I received my bachelor’s degree in speech and language pathology in the United States. Since being in Thailand I have come across several families who have asked me about working with their children on language delays or autism related issues. I can’t seem to find an national association for communication disorders based in Thailand and just want to know if you could point me in a direction where I could find out about the qualifications and certifications required to serve as an SLP or SLPA in Thailand.
    Thank you very much!

    • Hi,
      I haven’t found a national association either. One of the purposes for these associations is to ensure a certain level of standards for people entering the field. I would suggest contacting some of the organizations from this website who market themselves as ‘the global expat network’:

      It seems that there are many allied health professionals working in Bangkok with email and phone contact details, so they may be able to tell you more about if there is an association and if you can work in this capacity.

      All the best!

  • Hi there,

    I’m almost completing my Masters in SLP here in South Australia, and I’m an international student from Singapore. I previously did my bachelors in South Australia as well so I’ve spent almost 5 years studying in Australia. I was just wondering about the prospects of getting an SLP job in Australia (or SA). Would employers be more inclined to hire locals or in my case, a student with (a bit) of experience with placements/internships in Australian settings? What about the rural/remote areas? Would they hire locally-trained (but foreign) graduates? My preference would be to get a job in a hospital setting for a locum and then preferably go into private practice thereafter.

    Loving your blog btw. I’m so glad I stumbled upon it, thank you once again!

    x Leah

    • Hi Leah,
      If you have completed your education in Australia, then you technically should not find difficulties working in Australia unless you needed a work visa or a company to sponsor you. I am unsure as to your visa situation and if this applies to you. My Masters program at Macquarie had a range of international students, including those from India, Saudi Arabia and Singapore who all found SLP positions in Australia after completing their degree. Typically more people prefer metropolitan based positions so these are more competitive, whereas less people may apply for a rural/remote position (I was the only SLP who applied for my rural/remote position and got the job straight away!).
      Best of luck – perhaps your university program could have some more information for you?

    • Hi Leah,

      Just a note to add here (I’m a newish graduate SLP in Brisbane, who came to Australia from Singapore as an undergrad). Job prospects were relatively good for me. Although I did not work as an SLP for the first 15months post graduation due to personal reasons, I still found an SLP job soon after I started looking, and found my background to be a plus in the recruitment process (diversity, being a high level communicator to bridge cultural divides etc). The question of foregin-ness only came up in relation to getting leave to go home during term time (I work for the Department of Education).

      Hope that helps. If you would like, feel free to drop me a note and maybe I can help more?

      Thanks, Sondha

      • Hi Sonda

        Thank you so much for the reply! I’d love to speak to you more about it – do you have an email I can contact you? My email is [email protected], just in case. Thank you so much 🙂

        x Liah

      • Dear Sonda, I have the ASHA CFY permission and passed praxis and I am looking for a CFY options. I live and work in Poland and I have to start the CFY before July 2018. Where would you suggest to do it with ASHA permission?

        According to the credential office from New York called WES I have an equivalent of master degree also ASHA accepted my education.

        Please let me know if you have any idea where I could go

        • Hey Kamila, i work with BMR health and we place and also help candidates to start their CFY. We can discuss about this if you could email me your details at [email protected].


  • How did you get an America working visa as a speech therapist? Do you have a TN or a H1B?

    • Different countries have different visas. Australian ‘specialty occupations’ can apply for an E3 visa, but this is only between these 2 countries.

  • Hi Rebecca!
    I just found your website and I LOVE it! I will be adding it to my list of regularly checked sites. 🙂 I am a graduate student getting ready to graduate next month (YES!!) and will be looking for a clinical fellowship placement where I can work until I get certified. I am interested in working internationally (I love to travel), but it is looking like I have to be ASHA certified before I can do that. I’m not sure how the Australian system works, but in the States we have to work for 9 months to a year post graduation before we are eligible for ASHA certification. Do you know of any international organizations that place new graduates in their clinical fellowship year? Thanks so much!

    • Hi Jennifer,
      In the past week I have had a few grad students email me the same question – I will be putting up the question on my site to see if anyone is or knows or ASHA certified professionals working internationally and able to assist CFY.
      Keep your eye out for it.

      • Hi there, I am Canadian who went to school in the states but is now working in Canada and just got my ASHA certification (CCCs). I believe you would just need to find a supervisor/coworker that has their CCCs in whatever part of the world you want to work. My certification “supervisor” was actually just a coworker. I was lucky as I work for a large health region and have a few coworkers with their CCCs. I believe there may be a list of people outside the USA with their CCCs on ASHA or you can contact ASHA for that information. You also don’t have to start it as soon as you graduate (there is a time limit though) so it can give you some time to look for a supervisor as well! In Canada you don’t have to be certified to work (just registered with the province) so as soon as you graduate you are good to go, no “CFY” needed. Certifiation is voluntary and not needed to work. I’m sure this is the same in other countries too. Hope that is helpful!

  • Hey Rebecca 🙂
    I have my ASHA license and have been working in America and have decided I want to move to New Zealand. I would hate to begin all the paper work and applications before I actually have a job lined up. Before you moved to different countries, did you talk to recruiters in that country to ensure you could find employment or should I go ahead with all the Visa applications and worry about the job later?


    • Hi Matt,
      I did secure a job with an agency first as they sponsored my visa and walked me through the whole process. It saved me researching what licences or qualifications I needed as they had a ‘visa’ and ‘certification’ liaison person. It took me 6 months as some paperwork can take a long time, so while the agency signed me on, I didn’t actually secure a position until it was closer to the time and I could estimate my arrival.

      • Okay great! Do you have any agencies that you would recommend that have been successful in finding you international job placements?

        • That is a huge research effort that I haven’t undertaken – however if people do find agencies that employ international SLPs I would be happy to compile a list and share.

  • Hi Rebecca. Your blog has been very helpful. Thank you. I am American looking for an SLP position in Australia. I found the link on how to apply for the license in Australia since I am an ASHA member. I don’t want to pay the $550 (Australian money) until I have a job. If I find a job first, do you think the company would be willing to pay this? How do I go about applying for jobs without this license though? I am interested in the medical setting and have experience working with voice, swallowing, speech and language disorders. Do SLPs work with ENTs in Australia? I started the speech pathology program for 8 ENTs, and would love to work with ENTs in Australia if that’s an option. Also, do you think the fact that I’m trilingual would help me get a job (English, Spanish, and Mandarin Chinese)? I appreciate any feedback you may have.

    • I would look on the job site many staffing agencies advertise SLP positions on there so I would make a list of who they are and contact them. Don’t limit your search for a specific city/state, as some staffing agencies at that point in time may not have a job listed. They will then be able to discuss sponsoring visas and maybe paying for your certification. Australia is very multicultural and I have worked with interpreters on a daily basis in hospitals as a student, so the extra languages would be a great benefit.

      • Thank you so much. I really appreciate your suggestions.

  • Hi Rebecca, I just discovered your website and love it!!
    I wanted to add that I am licensed in Australia, and when I came to USA, despite the ‘mutual agreement,’ I actually had to complete a masters in Speech Pathology (2 1/2 years full time!!!) to obtain licensure in USA. The licensing board and ASHA would not recognize, despite my documentation, that our Bachelor’s system is very similar than the USA masters course. It was unfortunate that although the conversion process seems simple, it’s really not.

    • I agree that it is not easy – I was lucky that I did my Masters degree in Australia before I aspired to move to the US, but many Aussie SLPs just have their Bachelors.

    • What a shame. Sorry to hear that. Do you think that will pertain to someone doing their masters in Australia? Will they have to obtain a masters in the states as well? Any suggestion for me that would like to get my masters in Australia but eventually return to the states and get licensure?


  • What wonderful blog! I will be returning often. I do have a question, though. And I don’t know if you have an answer, but would love it if you at least knew who I might ask. I’m just starting my masters here in Oregon at the age of 43. So I’m going to be 45 when I finish. I had heard somewhere that Australia has an age moratorium for American employees. Do you know if that’s true?

    • From my understanding there are different visas and different restrictions. I think the work/travel visa might be limited to under 30, but that it might be possible to apply for a specialty occupation visa. The Australian Visa Wizard site would be the best place to start and can help guide you.

      • Oh my. I checked out the Visa Wizard. What a useful tool. Thank you so much for the information. I’m feeling far more hopeful about my possibilities.

  • Hey Rebecca,

    What an amazing blog you have here! I am a Canadian Undergraduate student that just got accepted into a school in the UK for speech language therapy. Do you have any idea how certification works over there? Are you required to have RCSLT certification in order to practice in the UK or do you just need to be a registered with the HPC. Also the school I have been accepted to is a post-graduate program for SLT with allows me to be registered with NHS. Do you know what NHS is? There are so many different association and licensing bodies for SLT!! Im just so confused!

    Thanks so much

    • Hi Rachel,
      First of all, sorry for the late reply but I have been touring the Canadian Rockies and camping the past few weeks. Congrats on getting into a UK school. I have only studied, and not worked in the UK myself. Copy/paste this link and click on the UK section. It outlines what you have to do to be certified in the UK. You may actually automatically ‘qualify’ and have to go through extra hoops to work back in Canada to make sure that you are recognized back home. I would be in close contact with someone from Canada while you are away and save the UK questions until when you start university so you can get some face-to-face answers.
      Best of luck, safe travels.

  • Do you know if Americans can be speech pathologists in S. Africa?

    • Hi Ashley,
      Sorry for the late reply but I was exploring the Canadian Rockies with no internet access! I know that S.Africa is not part of the Mutual Recognition Agreement, but that does not mean that it is not possible to work there. Iis may have changed think I heard that SLPs are also trained to be Audiologists as well, but this may easily have changed/be incorrect. Follow this link and contact the association for more answers:

  • Hi Rebecca!
    I am a speech therapist from Czech Republic and I love travelling as well.
    But I usually do all kind of seasonal jobs when I am abroad because of my
    “language barrier” for speech therapy. I was wondering if you know whether
    there is a way to make a speech therapy in english speaking countries (i am
    interested in Canada) for somebody who has all her degrees from Czech
    Republic… I am trying to find a small hole in the system where I can sneak
    🙂 Just can’t live without my job.

    Thanks lot for any answer.


    • Hi Hana,
      There may be a ‘small hole’ but I know that moving to America was a lot of paperwork, certifications and licenses just to prove that my education was up to their standard. I know the US has a lot of legal implications too, so many employees ask for all copies of these. I cannot speak for Canada, but perhaps contacting the CALSPA (Canadian SLP association) and emailing them might give you some more answers.
      Best of luck,


  • Hi Rebecca,
    I am a recent graduate of The University of Texas and I would LOVE to do my Master’s abroad, preferably in Australia or Canada. Would you happen to know which Master’s program is the most affordable/good in Australia and what are the steps to take for Americans wanting to study in Australia? I appreciate any and all insight since I am completely clueless ! Thanks in advance for all of your help! Your blog is extremely helpful!!!

    • Hi Wendy,
      I think one of the first steps in your research is making sure that the program in internationally recognized or accredited, otherwise you might not be allowed to work back in the US. I went to Macquarie University, Sydney, and we always had a lot of international students attending our Masters Program. Maybe the University of Texas SLP department could help and you can ask them what to look for or what you need to do. Even though this link is from a Canadian SLP who studied at my University, it might give you some useful tips on the process and what you might have to start doing.
      Best of luck and safe travels

      • How can I figure out if my masters of speech here in Australia is internationally recognised?

    • Hi Wendy!
      Have you searched on any SLP graduate programs in Australia and Canada? I’ve done some searching but there’s so much that I still don’t have clear. I’m in the waiting list at the University of Queensland and I’m currently searching to see if I can make it financially. They are using some students on the list but they are asking us to notify them we will be able to pay upfront a little over 9000 US dollars. Macquarie and Queensland are 2 universities that allow hours in Audiology that will be required to get CCC through ASHA.


      • Hello Mal,
        I am still in the process of researching and I have been looking at those two universities, and The University of Melbourne. Unfortunately the biggest obstacle I’m facing is being able to afford going there financially, I know that it’s very expensive to live in Australia and most of the scholarships offered are mainly for research based majors. I will continue to do some research and I’ll post anything I find on here in case you still need some help!

  • Hi,
    I am a student from Sri Lanka and currently studying bachelor of speech pathology in Australia. What is your idea about prospects of getting jobs for students from non English speaking background?

    • Hi,
      When I studied my degree we had students from around the world including India, Saudi Arabia and Hong Kong and I know that they were able to find employment. Australia is a very multicultural country and you might find that being bilingual actually increases your career prospects.
      Best of luck.

  • A big problem for me. I am moving to france with my husband. Can I practice in France? My French is still in the works, not too great. If not, what career can I easily transition to in France??? [email protected]

    • The ASHA site lists the French association name/address on its site: Association pour la Rééducation de la Parole du Langage Oral et Ecrit et de la Voix (ARPLOEV)
      10, rue de l’Arrivée
      F-75015 Paris, France

      You may want to get in contact and see if they will recognize your qualifications and if its possible to work there.

  • I am in the process of writing a proposal to my master’s SLP program in the U.S. to break the course sequence and had a semester abroad. My university has a direct exchange with a university in the north of Spain, which has a SLP program. My plan is to take SLP courses in Spanish during my externship semester. What I would like to do is find a SLP-CCC in Spain who can supervise me for one of my clinical externships. I have only found three Spanish ASHA certified clinicians in Spain so far… Any advise or resources would be appreciated!!! Your blog is just amazing!

    • Hi Jessica, I’d love to do my CFY in Spain too! Also looking for an SLP-CCC who could supervise me. It’s been hard to find. —

      Rebecca, you have a great blog! Thank you so much for all of your helpful info! If you have any resources for Spain please let us know! Thanks SO much! – Janice

    • I’m sorry – this is completely outside of my realm. I hope you find the right person!

  • hi , im soubhy from egypt , need to help , i search for friend .
    im speech pathologist , can i work in isturalia ? i have deploma at speech pathologist from ain shams univiristy
    soubhy atia apouria
    skybe : soubhy.atia
    email: [email protected]

    • I’m not a visa specialist I’m afraid – plus you may have to get your accreditations recognised in Australia. You could try asking the Australian SLP association

  • Hi Rebecca, i’m currently in my first year of grad school in the states. I’m both a Canadian and HK citizen. I’m just wondering if you happened to know anyone who’s ASHA certified and practicing in HK at the same time? I’d really wanna be taking my practicum in HK. =)

    • I’m sorry – maybe find an international SLP message board and ask on there?

  • hi ,karen , Jessica , how are you , im looking for new freind to help about speech pathologist , also to create new relationchip
    skybe : soubhy.atia
    email: [email protected]
    facebook : soubhy atia

  • Hey Rebecca I find your website really interesting and helpful. God bless you! I am a new under grad and currently a practicing SLP from India and I have a question! Is it possible to find employment in Canada with a Bachelor’s degree in Speech Language Pathology and Audiology from a renowned Institute.Would you be able to give me any advice? I’ve done a lot of research but that question still remains unanswered to me! Thanks for the consideration

    • You might have to contact the Canadian SLP association. It is likely to be up to them to determine if your degree meets their requirements.

  • Hi Rebecca

    I am a newly qualified SLT with a masters degree from a UK university. I want to work in Canada but I have no prior experience as I have just qualified. Is this even possible? Pls help



    • Hi – the MRA agreement will have all of the information that you need. Just search for it on the Canada SLP site.

  • How crazy would it be to go to Canada for a masters in SLP after receiving a bachelors in the US? Would it hinder career opportunities in the US? I really would love your opinion

    • Not crazy at all – the paperwork to get back into the US might be something you want to think about – check the MRA agreement between the Canada/US and see what extra you have do.

  • Hi Rebecca
    Im an Asian student applying for master’s program of speech pathology in Australia. I received a firm offer from University of Melbourne and I haven’t accepted the offer yet. I am wondering that as a relatively new program (since 2009?), would it affect qualifications overseas/ career opportunities in Australia?
    I checked the list of recognized qualifications of speech therapy to work in Singapore and it doesn’t include the University of Melbourne.
    Any opinions or advice? I love your blog. It’s so hard to find information on SLPs working around the globe. Your blog has inspired and empowered me 🙂


    • Maybe try emailing the course coordinator at UofM and check that it is internationally recognised? It may not be updated yet on the site in Singapore. I know that unis go through accreditation processes, so you would want to be sure if you wanted to work back in Singapore.

  • Hi Rebecca,
    i am an indian student at present doing my second year masters (SLP), i am very much interersed to work as SLP in US immediately after my masters programme i.e., next year. i just want to know what are the basic requirements and how well i can get it..

  • Hi Rebecca,
    im second year masters student (SLP) from India. Im interested to get a job immediately after my masters programme, next year. can u plz give me suggestions for this regarding basic requirements and how i can approach to that…

  • Hey my name is Jenny and I am in desperate need of help. I am currently a Grad student in Arizona for Speech Pathology, and I graduate in August 2014, I am currently getting my hours for graduation and want to get hours in London. I need connections or who can assist me with getting an internship in London. I am actually a British citizen so visa is not a concern for me. I just need a hospital, nursing home or out patient clinic for adults to take me in. Please do you have any ideas how I can accomplish this.

    • Maybe someone else reading this can help, but it work in Australia. I have never had to get hours overseas, so this is out of my depth. Sorry!

  • Hi Rebecca,
    Hoping you or someone else who has read your blog might be able to help. I am a UK SLT with 5 years experience (undergrad degree) hoping to work in Canada. I understand the process and my first problem is the 90 Audiology taught hours that are required – this is not done on any UK undergrad/masters course – have any other therapists who did not study Audiology at this level managed to work around this? Did you study this in Australia?
    I am already in Canada with a working holiday visa.
    Many thanks!!! Kerry

  • I know my Canadian friend who studied in Australia sought out extra clinical placements at our university Hearing Clinic, and our Masters Degree had two Audiology based courses, so this got around this issue. I wonder if you could look at volunteering? I’d contact the Canadian association and perhaps clarify what would be acceptable.
    Best of luck, sorry I wasn’t that helpful.

  • Hi,
    I am a Speech Therapist from New Zealand. I have a Masters Degree in Speech Language Therapy and am thinking about moving to California to work. I am fairly certain that I will be able to get the ASHA certification, but the California licencing is confusing me.
    Can anyone offer me any insight into how this process works and if it would actually be possible for me??

    • Unfortunately state licenses are a whole other side of things! I worked in Washington State and it was quite straightforward, though I did have a contracting company that helped me through it. If you were really keen, I’d start with the ASHA certification first and go from there. FYI, my Canadian friend mentioned to me that she has ‘given up’ on getting the Californian license, but I don’t know the circumstances behind it.

  • Hi Rebecca,

    I’m currently working as a speech pathologist in the Melbourne Area, I completed my Masters course here last year through La Trobe and then began working in Victoria. I’m a US citizen and may have to move elsewhere next year because of proposed changes to the skills list here. We had some (minimal) course content on audiology during our master’s course but we were never formally trained in hearing assessment, etc. I’ve heard the question of whether or not audiology coursework is required to work in the US tossed around a bit, still haven’t gotten a clear answer on this from anyone at ASHA or at state offices.. Based on what you know, would I have to do additional coursework before I’m allowed to work in the states or does it vary from state to state? At this stage I’m thinking of either Washington, Oregon or Colorado. Also, if you know of any agencies which may be of some help as I search for jobs, it would be great if you could forward their details along to me. Thanks!


    • Hi Alex,
      I can’t be sure about the audiology hours/courses, but I did a LOT of subjects in my undergraduate degree. I think it came up when I had to get my uni to complete the hours of coursework/prac, but then again that could have been for the state license (sorry, it was 6 years ago). From my experience, different agencies collaborate in different states and school districts. My school district for example only hired from one agency, so it really is better to figure out where you want to go and start contacting agencies. But, being a US citizen it might be easier to get hired from a school district itself and waaaaaaay less hassle!!!! You will still have to complete the PRAXIS exam, so I would look at where/when this is held. I think you can do it in Melbourne but they aren’t offered very frequently from my recollection. I worked in Washington State and everything was pretty straightforward for me, so I assume it might still be? You don’t really know what the issues will be until you start completing the paperwork and then going ‘oh, I need to do this’, so I would say get started – and good luck!

    • Hi Alex – I’m a us citizen & was accepted to study for a masters at Uni Melbourne in 2018. I was hoping to stay & work in the Melbourne area after graduation, & maybe indefinitely, since I’ve heard it is close to impossible to get licensed in CA with a foreign degree. I’m curious what the proposed changes to the skills list are? Does this mean I wouldn’t be able to work in AUS after graduation?

      • Melissa,

        have you started your program at uni Melbourne? I am from the us and was accepted to flinders for a masters in speech. I’d love to talk to you as I have some more questions!

  • Hey, not sure if someone has already asked this but I qualified in the UK with a BSc in speech therapy; I practiced in the UK for just over two years. Am I eligible to work in aus or do I need to convert my qualification, or take a test? Many thanks

    • Hi Daisy,
      Technically you should be able to. To my most current knowledge we don’t require an exam. If you view the MRA agreement links on my page and download the information for SLPs wanting to work in Australia, all the requirements should be listed.
      Good luck!

  • Hi Rebecca… I am a Slp from India working in USA for last 10 years. I recently got membership approval from Australian speech board through MRA using my ASHA CCC. I just loved your website and thanks for providing lot of information about working overseas.
    I would like to know about the job opportunities in Australia for SLPs. I am getting the documents ready for applying Australian visa. Is it difficult to find SLP jobs in Australian especially for a SLP from a different country (India)?. Is there any agency recruiting SLPs in Australia. ? Hope to see your reply soon.

    Thanking you in advance.

    • Hi there,
      If you look on the Aussie job sites ( for example) you will see the Australian recruiting agencies advertising on there – so it is worthwhile contacting them. You might actually find that being from India works well, particularly if you move to an area where there are large Indian communities. This is more likely to happen in capital cities. Other than that, there are typically positions that are a little more ‘rural’. Having worked for 10 years sounds like a lot of great experience, so I feel like you would be a great candidate. Best of luck!

    • Hi. Can you share with me your experience of how you got SLP job in u.s and the process?

  • I recently graduated from a college in India with a Bachelors degree in BASLP. I also possess a valid green card. Is it possible for me to work in the USA with the current degree I hold? If so, could you please guide me on how I can apply for jobs?

    • Hi Sharon,
      Before you even start thinking about jobs, check that you meet all of ASHA’s certification needs and can be certified. I had to jump through a LOT of paperwork that took a few months, but I knew that I had met all the criteria. At the time I went to the US you had to have completed a Masters degree, so read up on the ASHA site if this is still the case. Going through a consulting agency can help, but you may be able to apply directly for a job if you don’t need a sponsor. Good luck 🙂

    • Hi, I’m SLP with bachelor outside the country, I recently get a WES equivalence credential report, I looking for working or study a master Degree in slp. I’ve wondering How you made if you apply for a master degree and what process you took?

      • I completed my Masters degree in my own country, so I couldn’t really help on how to apply for a Masters in another country. Sorry I couldn’t be helpful, good luck.

  • Fantastic article!!! Thank you very much for sharing this detailed post..It was very helpful and interesting.

  • Hey!
    I’m still confused deciding which university has the best course for speech therapy. It would be great if you gave me some advice on which one I should apply to. right now I’m looking at the University of Queensland, uni of Newcastle, James cook uni, and Flinders.
    It would be great if you gave me an idea of the colleges that have good teachers as well as ones which provide good job opportunities.

    Thank you

    • I can’t say as I haven’t studied at any of them I’m afraid! There are external things that you can do such as looking at rankings, or even seeing if there is somewhere that you would like to live as these are all spread out. Maybe see what other programs or opportunities they offer and see if that pulls you over the line. Happy choosing and good luck 🙂

  • Hello Rebecca,

    First of all, thank you for your website, it is very well made and helpful!

    I am French, currently living in Australia and looking at changing career (currently working in international business).
    My questions are:
    – Can I work as a speech pathologist if English is not my mother tongue?
    – Do you know anyone who has an Australian diploma of speech pathology currently working in France or in any E.U country? Eventually I would like to go back to live in France but before I study SP I want to make sure I can relocate and work there.

    Thank you for your help.


    • Hi Gabrielle,
      Try the SLPs abroad Facebook group to see if there is anyone working in Europe. I know a few American’s that are over there and you can work in the UK. I also had a few people in my course who had English asa second language – if you English is up to University standards in written and spoken language, then I don’t see why you can’t go for it! What you should be looking at is what the French SLP Association requires and if they will accept an Australian degree. Best of luck.

  • Hi Rebecca. My name is Kiran and i’m studying speech pathology in Italy. I want to know if with an italian degree i can work in the USA and what requirements are need.

    • Hey Kiran,
      You’d probably have to contact ASHA about that – Italy are not part of the Mutual Recognition Agreement so I don’t know if they would accept the degree. Good luck 🙂

  • Hello!
    I am currently an SLP- Assistant in the U.S and I haven’t gotten Into grad school yet. I was thinking of taking another year off to try to work in the U.K.
    Do you have any ideas on where to start with that? I have emailed with the RCSLT and they told me My license isn’t recognized, by they do hire for that position and having experience (which I do), would help. I just need to be pointed into a direction on where to start with it all.

    Thank you,

    • Hmm, that’s tricky – why don’t you head over to the SLPs Going Abroad group on Facebook and post and search on there – lot’s of up to date information for people who have just done it! I only have information for SLP’s who have their degree as the Mutual Recognition Agreement spells it out pretty well. Good luck 🙂

  • Hi,
    I am currently a graduate student in the US. Following my graduation in May 2019, I am moving to Singapore with my husband for his job. In order to get my ASHA-CCC’s, I need to complete my CFY. I would like to do that in Singapore, but I have hit a road block with Allied Health Professionals Council indicating, without my CCCs, I would not qualify for conditional registration. Has anyone in the US done a CFY in Singapore? Or have insight into what I can do? Thanks in advance!

    • Oh geez, that’s a tough question – try posting it on the SLPs going abroad Facebook page. It’s a closed group, so you need to join, but someone on there might have done and can let you know. Good luck 🙂

  • Hello,
    I’m a post graduate student from India. Can i get to know about information on working in US.

    • Hi there,

      I’m not American so I can’t advise on the Visa requirements. The ASHA website will have some great information about seeing if your degree and qualifications match the US requirements. This is definitely something that you should look into first. Best of luck 🙂

  • Hi! I will be completing my masters in speech pathology in the United States; could I work in South Africa?

    • I’m not sure if they are part of the MRA (UK, USA, Australia, NZ, UK) – best contact the association and see what they have to say.

  • Hi—

    I have my CCC’s and am looking to move this summer to work and live in Barcelona, Spain. Do you know anything about how I would go about approaching this??

    Thank you so much

    • The two best recommendations would be to 1. Contact the Speech association over there to research requirements and 2. Join the Facebook group SLPs Going Abroad and see if anyone has done this’d can let you know firsthand what they did. It’s always best hearing it from someone who has done what you’re trying to do. Best of luck 🙂

  • Hi, I completed my Bachelors of Audiology and Speech Language Pathology (BASLP) from India and I wish to work in US as a Speech Language Pathologist assistant.. can you tell me how should i go about that and is it possible?

    • I worked in the USA 8 years ago and I needed a Masters degree to work over there – I would contact the ASHA association to see if it is possible as I’m not quite sure. Best of luck 🙂

  • Hi there, I just graduated from an AHSA accredited SLP masters program, but my degree doesn’t confer until August 2019 due to a few remaining weeks of an externship.
    When considering where I would like to complete my CFY, I can’t imagine a better experience than Ireland or the UK. Any advice on how to make this happen for someone seeking a clinical fellowship? I am from New York! Thank you so much in advance for you assistance.

    • Hi there,

      You might have to check the Mutual Recognition Agreement between the US and Ireland/UK. When I looked into this many years ago you need to have at least 18 months experience before you could work over there, so I am not sure if this applies to you too.

    • I don’t know anything about visas or qualifications in Sweden, sorry. Happy searching 🙂

  • Hi,

    I am a Canadian student taking my masters of speech pathology in australia, do you know what I need to be able to come back and work? Please let me know.

    Thank you,

    • Have you read the MRA agreement or been in touch with CASLPO? My understanding was all of the information was provided on those pages 🙂

  • im from canada and would like to work in the uk or ireland as an slp is this possible if i got all my certifications in canada?

    • You will have to read up on the MRA agreement between those two countries and see what terms they came to.

  • Hi. I am an international graduate student doing my masters in SLP. I would like to know about the job opportunities for international SLP students and about h1b sponsorship.

    • Hi, have you tried the Facebook group that I mentioned? I’m sure there will be great information on there 🙂

  • Hi
    I am a Speech Therapist from North Macedonia and I would like to know If my Bachelor’s degree is recognized in the USA? I would also like to know If my Master’ s degree in Bulgaria is recognized as well?

    • Hi there, I am Australian, so I wouldn’t know about your country. Have you tried contacting the association?

  • Dear Rebecca
    Really Appreciate your blog!!!
    I have completed my master in speech pathology from India and had been working in India and UAE for more than 10yrs in field of speech pathology with English ,Arabic and Malayalam (mother tongue) ,Hindi,Kannada,Telugu,Tamil

    I had obtained the Australian permanent residency and is planning to start my career in Australia as a SLP in last quarter of this year or in early 2021
    1-Can you please advice me if you would suggest me to restudy my Msc in speech pathology and then apply for lisencure or directly apply using the complete application for overseas candidate
    2-is there any part of Australia wherein I can start working before persuing my SPA lisence (am happy to work for both rural and town areas)
    3- Any suggestion to help me settle- as am very anxious about me life as am Divorcee single mom of 1yrs of baby girl.

    I dont know if you will be happy to share your contact details,in case of any urgent help I need when I arrive in Australia

    Heartly welcome to UAE any time.

    Awaiting to hear from you.

    • Hi there,

      What a big move for you! I would suggest getting in touch with our professional organisation, Speech Pathology Australia to see if you need to do anything extra, or complete additional paperwork to be recognized in Australia. This really is the first step if you want to practice as an SLP in Australia.

      Best wishes.

    Hope you are doing well. I’m in my last semester of MS-SLP and working as a SLP too. I’m from Pakistan. I want to pursue my carrier in research. Can you please suggest me and guide me about the opportunities?

    Thanking you in anticipation.

    • Hi Ayesha,

      I’m sorry but I wouldn’t know where to start as I have never pursued a career in research. Best wishes 🙂

Comments are closed.

Welcome Guest! Waving Emoji Join Adventures in Speech Pathology to save your cart, save products for later, get exclusive discounts & more! Register Already a customer? Sign in
Your Cart is empty!

It looks like you haven't added any items to your cart yet.

Browse Products
Powered by Caddy