Working Overseas

Where to Start

Hello SLPs! You probably clicked here on an internet trawl… going from site to site to find the information that you need to get you where you want to go. While I don’t have all the answer, I hope you get something new. I’m going to summarise what you can find on my site in a quick, easy to navigate fashion, split up into Working Overseas in general and then Volunteering as they are both quite different in nature. BUT FIRST – know that if you look on the right side of my blog (maybe scroll down a little), you will see the heading ‘Categories’ and then Work & Travel. Click on it and you will see a compilation of blog posts, stories and interesting ‘what is it like’ to be an SLP overseas type stuff. That is great for late night musings. Below is where you might find some nitty-gritty information.

Working Overseas

  • I provide some background information on the Mutual Recognition Agreement (particularly useful for SLPs trained in Australia, USA, UK, NZ, Canada and Ireland) and basic Visa info.
  • I list as many SLP associations that I could find to help you contact whatever country you are hoping to work in.
  • Read up on my top reasons for working overseas if you’re still uhmming and ahhing.
  • To get your mind focused on the ups and down and working overseas I’ve compiled what I wish I knew first about working overseas.



  • Hi Rebecca,

    I was wondering if you had any advice for (Canadian) SLPA’s/CDA’s who are interested in travelling. I have looked into this a little and found jobs tricky to come by. In the U.S many seem to look for licenses from the State and do not generally supply a working VISA (or that’s what I’ve heard) for assistants and I haven’t came across assistant jobs overseas. Any advice? or where to look?


    • Hi,
      I am not sure if SLPA’s are in other countries! I have never heard of them in Australia, and working in the US I know many school districts in my state have cut the position all together. If you look under the mutual recognition agreement of countries that will let overseas SLPs work there, there is no mention of recognizing assistants. I’m afraid I can’t be much help, but keep searching.
      Best of luck though,

  • I’m delighted that I found your website today! I just returned from travelling and teaching English abroad to pursue a career in Speech Path. One of the things I’ve been struggling with is whether I could work abroad again with my certification (there’s always English teaching, but the pay doesn’t lend itself to retiring with much). I’m so excited to read more! Thank you!

    • There is definitely a way and different options depending where you are from. Happy studies, happy travels 🙂

  • This site is very thankful! Thank you for taking the time to create it. I am currently an undergraduate in the US, aspiring to become an SLP. I was wondering if you have any advice for someone who is an aspiring SLP looking for an internship abroad. I am very interested in living in Australia and would love to do an internship to see if I could further my knowledge of SLP in another country. Thanks!

    • Hi Madi,

      I think reading the Mutual Recognition Agreements will be your biggest source of knowledge. Unless it has changed, to work in another country you have to have full recognition and accreditation in your own country… so I don’t think an internship will work. Just double check as things change all the time.

  • Hi Rebecca
    I was wondering if you could help me.
    I’m looking for a speech pathologist/therapist with experience in APD . And she/he should be able to move to a little beach town in Costa Rica, to work with a 8 years old.
    I need some advice on where and how should I look for one? Can you help me? Please?
    Thank you

    • Hi Dara,
      I wonder if Telehealth might be an option – you would need internet access, but at least it opens up your options? I’m not familiar with the companies that would reach out to services there, but try searching for that and see how you go. Best of luck.

    • I see this is an old post but I am seeking work in Costa Rica so just reaching out to connect!

  • Hello, I’m looking for a telepractice speech language pathology position in Europe or other countries. I currently have a small caseload with a private contractor providing services to students living abroad with their parents (parent), but the caseload has been reduced. I’m looking for any information for companies that I could contact to provide services. I live in Pennsylvania, United States.

    Thank you,

    Christy Lindsey, MS, CCC, SLP

    • Ooh that is a good question! Have you posted on the Facebook group called SLPs Going Abroad – lots of SLPs around the world, I’m serene of them will know of a telepractice! Good luck, sounds fun 🙂

  • Your website is so helpful! I have been practicing for only three years but I am definitely interested in working abroad. Are there agencies/companies that will work with you to help find you/guide you towards a job in another country? Kinda like a ‘Doctors Without Borders’? thank you!

  • Hello! I am interested in moving to Canada, but maintaining my ASHA certification. Would I be able to work remotely in the United States from Canada as long as I am certified in the state?

    • Id love to know if you ever got the answer to this question 🙂


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Welcome Guest! Waving Emoji Join Adventures in Speech Pathology to save your cart, save products for later, get exclusive discounts & more! Register Already a customer? Sign in
Your Cart is empty!

It looks like you haven't added any items to your cart yet.

Browse Products
Powered by Caddy