America arguably has the highest percentage of English-speaking SLPs in the world, and since I have moved there from Australia, I found that they have amazing resources that I didn’t know existed! Having worked in a range of settings and within different service delivery models, the one resource that I wish I knew about as a new SLP entering the field was Webber’s Jumbo Articulation Drill Book!
I work in a school setting at the moment, and I think that this has to be every SLPs best friend! I had never even heard of this product in Australia and just in case it hasn’t crossed oceans, I want spread the news!
WHY I LOVE IT
- It’s a reproducible drill book, meaning that you can photocopy these pages for the people who you work with til your heart’s content!
- It includes initial, medial and final position for 20 sounds, plus it has S, R and L Blends!
- It includes pictures, word lists, phrase lists and sentence lists – so it really targets quite a few areas of the speech hierarchy
- It’s family friendly! The SLP has space to write directions up the top of the page, so I can tell the parents what to say or do. The fact that it has boxes for families to record speech data is great for progress monitoring.
- I like that it breaks up the word level into 1-2-3 (at times) syllable words for those children who are more sensitive to syllable structures.
HOW DO I USE IT?
- I love plonking this on my desk and flipping through for therapy targets, especially when the child has multiple sound errors.
- It’s great for when you are progress monitoring or want to check if a child is stimulable. Instead of sitting there thinking up targets sounds/words, I refer to this book for ease.
- I always use this when I need to get new goals. Especially for S-R-L blends. I usually sample 4 pictures for each blend to see which the child finds easiest/hardest/is more stimulable for. Also if you are not sure whether to start at initial/medial/final position, I find it saves time to have all of the pictures and words in front of me.
- Great for home programs – especially over summer break!
WHERE TO PURCHASE IT
Click to view the product at Super Duper Publications.