If Rory’s Story Cubes tagline :
9 cubes, 54 images, 10 million combinations, infinite stories.
doesn’t grab you, then keep reading! I picked these up when I was traveling through America as a game with huge potential and because they tick all my boxes as an ‘essential’ SLP resource! All you have to do is roll the dice (use 1-9 different dice), see what pictures you get and start talking!
WHY I LOVE THEM
1. Small. Very Affordable. It’s pretty straight forward…. If you travel a lot, even if it is to different schools, these will fit snugly in your bag!
2. My kids love ‘rolling’ fullstop. And with images, they get oh so very excited about what picture(s) will show up on the dice!
3. It encourages creativity and the visuals are natural scaffolds in themselves.
HOW I USE THEM
1. I target sentence structures, by using 1-4 dice.
2. I target narratives by using 3-9 dice.
3. I target conjunctions – or linking 2 ideas together with conjunctions – using 2 dice.
4. We link our core curriculum vocabulary into these stories, so they might have to use 3 curriculum words in their sentence/story.
5. I target sequencing using 2-9 dice.
WHERE TO BUY
View the official website here… They also have Rory’s Story Cubes -‘Actions’ and ‘Voyages’.
NOTE: No one asked me to write this review. These resources are ones that I personally use and love because they are small, lightweight and portable for a traveling SLP… and they can be used in many different applications!