I work on giving compliments as a way to teach my students ways to develop friendships and make other people have good thoughts and feelings about them. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve complimented my kids and they either don’t know how to respond or don’t understand why I would compliment it in the first place. This is a great visual resource to use with people who are working on developing their social-pragmatic language skills. Sometimes I have also found that my students don’t really know how to respond when someone compliments them, so this is a simple mini social book to start the conversation.
Free Download from my TPT store
To complement these social books I really encourage you to use pictures and visuals to represent different emotions/feelings/thoughts so that you can connect your social teaching to the core principles of Theory of Mind and perspective taking. I have a simple set of Thoughts and Feelings cards, or you can use photos, but make sure you have both the word AND the visuals of the emotion. This book about complimenting contains four small pages (which fit on a normal sheet of paper). For durability, just laminate and secure with a single binding ring. It addresses the following information:
- What is a compliment?
- Why should I compliment?
- When should I compliment?
- What can I say?
- How to receive a compliment.
WHO SHOULD USE IT?
I like to take a team approach when supporting my kids with social difficulties so that everyone has access to the same language for consistency.
- SLPs should have the book as a therapy teaching tool – use it in context.
- Teachers and other people who work with the person can use this to support the skill in the school environment.
- Families can use this as a reference at home.
- …..and whoever the mini social book is intended for can refer to it in whatever environment they are in. The book is intended to be small for portability and discrete viewing!
If you want to find a place of all my FREE resources, follow my Pinterest page for the latest updates. More free mini Social Books in this series includes: When you cheat, When I can’t control myself, How to greet people and When you interrupt.